The reaction I have received from many people about the idea of me starting a blog again has been something like "sure nadia and you will post like 3 times?" :) I don't have a good track record when it comes to blogging, but here is another attempt at it.
I arrived in Atlanta on Friday evening and so far am loving it! I was a little afraid of how I was going to adjust after Ecuador, but I feel like I settled right in. The older couple I am renting a room from is really nice, their names are Myles and Ortrude. When I arrived Myles gave me "some Smith good luck", which meant he licked his fingers and then touched my shoulder, I found it very funny :)
A good friend of mine, Chipo, lives here in Atlanta and I was able to spend most of Saturday with her which was wonderful! There is another intern, Korrin, living in this house as well and she is extremely nice, it will be nice to have someone my age around.
Korrin and I went exploring the area today and stopped by a grocery store where I bought some oregon chai and black beans. The guy behind me in line said "is that all you have? just 2 things?", I said "yes" and he looked at the cashier and said "add her things to mine". I was confused and he said "I am going to pay for it, consider it a random act of kindness". I thanked him and walked away a little shocked. It was SO nice and made me very happy :)
The area we live in is 5 minutes walking from The Carter Center and in a very cute part of town, I really like it. The house we are living in is over 100 years old and has a very interesting history. Myles started telling Korrin and I the history, but it was getting late so he said he would finish it another day. The house is pretty large, so Myles keeps finding new doors he hasn't shown us. Last night he showed us a closet under the staircase that the Sheriff (who lived in the house at one point) during the Prohibition years would take confiscated alcohol and would store it in his house, under the stairway.
Well, hopefully there will be more to come :) My first day at The Carter Center is tomorrow and I should get some sleep!
Peace,
Nadia
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nadia, so good to read that you have an interesting place to live in a nice part of town. Plus, you have already experienced some southern hospitality. Also, I'm glad to know you have/are making some friends in the area. We are anxious to hear about your work at the Carter Center so we expect to see something on the blog regularly--no excuses! Tell your current intern boss that your former intern boss says to treat you well--not really, but I do hope that's what happens.
ReplyDeleteAll the best,
Maria
:) It has taken me quite some time to start reading your blogs, but I'm doing it now!!! It makes my day that somebody decided to make yours right as you moved into town. You're a beautiful gal and I hope you are enjoying your time there. I will now read on to see if that's the case! Keep blogging; we are reading it and love you.
ReplyDelete