Monday, September 27, 2010

Leaving on a Jet Plane...

Wednesday afternoon I will be on an airplane flying to Libya. I fly from PDX to Amsterdam, from Amsterdam to Tripoli (Libya) and then will fly from Tripoli to Benghazi, Libya...my new residence for the next 7 or 8 months. I started to feel a little anxious about the trip last week because I realized I didn't really have any finalized plans, everything is kind of up in the air until I arrive. I know I am doing something at the British School, but I don't know what. I am told I will have a tutor for Arabic, but I don't know who. Just this week I found out where I am living (I wasn't worried about this because I had many options). My dad was trying to explain to me that no one plans ahead for anything, "you wake up in the morning and don't think about making plans for that evening...it's just not how it works over there". I kind of laughed and admitted that I had just gone out to buy a new planner to take to Libya with me...so is every day going to be blank? My dad began laughing really hard and thought it was hilarious that I had bought a planner for Libya. It's interesting because this won't be my first time living in a culture where plans fall through all the time, it was exactly the same when I lived in Ecuador (I never used a planner in Ecuador...)

If you've ever heard me talk about living in Ecuador you know that I describe it as one of the hardest experiences in my life and not the most positive experience. With Libya, I know it is going to be difficult in ways that Ecuador was not (i.e., language barrier, lack of independence), but I think the fact that I am going to a place that is familiar to me and where I have family is helpful. It also helps that my dad is going with me for the first month to get me settled.

I am excited for this next adventure and hope to post updates regularly :)

Please keep me updated on your lives as well! :)

Peace,
Nadia

4 comments:

  1. Nadia - You are in for an adventure of a lifetime. Embrace the opportunity to become close with your roots and family - you will find as you live life, that these things are the most important of all. Ah, the planner, you may find the paper useful for private journaling - you'll want to be sure to capture your thoughts and feelings but save some for your blog! We look forward to following you along the way. Best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I think it's so funny about the planner cause I'm a big planner too so it would be odd to have lots of blank pages. Also what your dad said was hilarious, I could totally see him saying that! I'm glad you're finally getting on your way to going cause it seemed like nothing was ever sure. lol Well maybe you can turn your planner into a journal. Glad to be reading your blog again. :) Safe travels!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nadia! I'm excited to hear about your Libyan adventures, especially those of the non-planned variety. It'll be such a great experience for you to live there and experience that side of your dad's life for a while. We'll have to be skype friends so we can chat once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nadia, I hope you're safely on your way! I made it to Palma about 1/2 hour ago and am cozily ensconced in my hostel. I can't wait to hear your first impressions on being back in Libya! I AM SO EXCITED TO BE IN SPAIN! I'll write this story in my forthcoming blog but I wanted to let you know: when I got off the plane in Palma, instead of a jostling line of people shouting "taxi? señorita linda? taxi-taxi-taxi?" there was a painted walkway for people who wanted taxis, and the first taxi in line got the first person/group, etc., and when I asked my taxista if she had a taximetro she stared at me if I were crazy, and then said, "claro que sí" as if it were the most obvious thing in the world, and I was thikning "TOTO, WE ARE NOT IN ECUADOR ANY MORE!!!" Aaaah, Nadia, it is so relaxing to be back in Europe (at least during this first hour. We´ll see when I actually venture out tomorrow). I´ll keep my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete