Saturday, October 16, 2010

Life is Different

Life here is very different.

Things I like:
*Being able to spend time with family.
*Getting to know my cousins better.
*Feeling welcomed by everyone.
*The sense of community here...everyone knows ALL their neighbors. When someone moves somewhere the most important factor is who are the neighbors.
*The slowness of life (although as my dad well knows, this is also something I don't like at times as I prefer to be busy...but it is nice to slow down). When I mentioned the possibility of working 5 days a week 8am-3:30pm to my family, there was an uproar of "No!" "That's too much work!" "It's bad for your health!". It made me laugh :)
*Living 10 minutes from the mediterranean sea.

Things I don't like:
*Not being able to freely go on a walk (you only see men walking around....women go shopping and such, but it's not acceptable for a woman to wander the streets)
*The driving. Everytime I am in a car I pray I don't get into an accident.
*The color brown. Everything here is brown and I don't find it aesthetically pleasing at all.
*The language barrier...but I guess that is what I am here to overcome, right?
*Living with a 1 1/2-year old who's only form of communication is screaming. :)
*There are very few places to go to hang out with people (especially for women, but there isn't too much for men either).
*The mosquitoes...I try to keep my body covered in bug spray in the evening. Probably the only spot that was not protected was my lips, so I currently have a bite on my lip. They just love me :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of my cousins has lived in England for the past 5 years and recently moved back to Libya. I was talking to her husband who said something I found interesting. He told me "You shouldn't let people tell you what you can and can't do. You should learn for yourself, it's a safe country so no one will hurt you". I took this to mean "go outside and go on a walk if you want to" or "go to a place that they say only men can go to"...but I am not sure that is exactly how I was supposed to interpret it...we'll see.

The daily schedule (which doesn't actually exist) goes something like this on some days:
Morning: Wake-up at 6:30am if I have work or wake-up at 10-11am. Have breakfast (eggs, cheese, bread). If not at work, sit around the house, go on the net, play with the 1 1/2-year old, read until lunch(between 2:30 and 3:30pm; it's the big meal of the day) or go somewhere with my dad and my cousin for a couple hours.
Afternoon/Evening: Lunch, nap (I generally don't nap), hang out with my cousins, have an arabic lesson, ask my dad questions about the arabic language.

On Thursday the sister of a family friend wanted to take me out for coffee and I found out about it as she was driving to get me....that's how planning works here :) I was really excited though because I didn't know such a place existed (for women at least). It's basically a family restaurant, not what we would call a "coffee shop" in the states.

Let me know how you are doing when you get the chance :)

3 comments:

  1. Work. Work. Pumpkin hunting. Work. :) We have had some great weather lately. Today was perfection.

    My interpretation of his comment is similar to yours. Do be mindful of your surroundings and just be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaah! I´m glad you found a "family restaurant" where you can go have coffee!

    I have Turkish coffee every morning with my Bulgarian roommate, and it reminds me of your dad :)

    You said you have a lot of books... do you have enough? Can I send you a package? Do you have an address, and if I did send something not valuable, would it arrive?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nadia - we miss you a lot here in Atlanta. I'm glad to hear that you are getting to connect with your family in Libya...although that must be hard not to be able to walk around alone.

    I'm loving the blog :) Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete