Friday, July 16, 2010

Birthday Weekend


On Friday afternoon I got a flower delivery at work from my parents for my birthday! Last weekend I went to Birmingham, Alabama and Nashville, Tennessee with a few other interns. We left for Birmingham (about 2 1/2 hr drive) after work. When we arrived we had such a hard time finding a place to eat dinner because almost everything was closed down. The next morning we went to the Civil Rights Institute and that was really cool. It was really sad (for obvious reasons) and I think afterwards all of our moods were pretty low, but we were all glad we went. It was very powerful. This is a picture of all of us in front of the 16th Street Baptist Church (where the bombing that killed four children was).


We went out to lunch after that and the interns I was with had made a birthday card for me and had a bunch of other interns sign it and write little notes, it was really sweet. After lunch we split up and a couple interns stayed in Alabama to explore other sites and four of us went on to Nashville. There was quite a bit of traffic, so it took us almost 5 hours to get there (when it should've been a 3 hour drive). We were going about 5 mph for 30 miles, we saw a sofa chair on the side of the road and decided that since we weren't moving we would take a picture on it :)


We went out to dinner for my birthday and went out to listen to some live music. Nashville was a really cool city. In the morning we walked around a lot and went in some shops, there wasn't a ton open because it was Sunday. We ended our time in Nashville by watching the final world cup game and then we headed back to Atlanta. On our drive back we stopped by a really pretty rest stop on a lake, so we took one last picture :)


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This weekend we are going to Plains, GA to spend the weekend with the Carters, so that should be fun, we leave early tomorrow morning.

Things at work have been going well, I have a few different projects I am working on, so that has been keeping me busy. :) Although it is tiring, I really do work better when I am really busy...and I think I like being busy...at least most of the time :)

I think I have said this before, but I really like my supervisors :) I am working on a presentation for the Director of the program and he called me to his office a couple days ago and I thought maybe there was something wrong with what I had done. When I sat down in his office he asked me how I was doing, how I was adjusting, were things going well, was I getting what I wanted out of my experience, what did I want to do in the future, etc. It was really nice to just talk with him and he was really interested in what I had to say. He is really busy, but always takes the time to check in with the interns.

Anyway, things are still going well and I will be starting my 7th week...time is flying by!

No comments:

Post a Comment